"Empowering individuals to live healthy, active lifestyles."
Providing Life Journey Support Services
To develop a sense of Native community in the City of Thunder Bay with opportunities for involvement and control by community members in addressing the issues that affect their lives.
401 N. Cumberland Street,
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7A 4P7
Urban Aboriginal Healthy Living Program
The Urban Aboriginal Healthy Living Program (UAHLP) can help you achieve your lifestyle goals! This program is taking major strides to help community members to increase their physical activity levels and their cardio-vascular health; to become smoke-free; to increase their knowledge of nutrition, healthy eating practices and weight management; and, to enhance the leadership ability of our youth. While the UAHLP will offer great benefits for the community as a whole, it will maintain four key target groups for special programming:
- Seniors and disabled adults
Other healthy living programs available to interested community members are:
- Healthy Eating Active Living (H.E.A.L.)
- Smoke Free Living/Smoking Cessation
UAHL Program Objectives
The objective is to work towards achieving the following desired health outcomes:
- Increased healthy eating habits, including increased knowledge of healthy nutrition, healthy eating practices, traditional diets and activities, healthy weights and weight management.
- Increased physical activity levels of community members through participation in organized sport activities, physical fitness activities and physical recreation activities
- Increased healthier lifestyle choices, including reduced use of commercial tobacco products and increase smoke free environments in community and personal spaces
- Increased numbers of youth who are engaged and participating in leadership programming and positive community activities.
There are 6 sub-categories that will be addressed in meeting the objectives of the program. They include:
- NUTRITION- Providing nutrition education and skills to participants. They can include healthy cooking classes, understanding nutrition, benefits of healthy eating and grocery shopping.
- SPORT ACTIVITIES- Sports are an opportunity to improve both physical and mental health, as well as social health.
- PHYSICAL FITNESS ACTIVITIES- Focusing on cardiovascular health, this component includes exercise and activities that will increase heart rate and breathing and in turn improve physical fitness and well-being.
- PHYSICAL RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES- Provides benefits to physical, mental, and social health, and promote adopting a more physically active lifestyle
- SMOKING CESSATION/SMOKING-FREE LIVING- Activities geared toward promoting smoke-free lifestyle, prevent smoking, and support programs for those who have quit smoking, and role models for smoke free living.
- YOUTH LEADERSHIP- Develop comprehensive program aimed at development of leadership roles for our youth.
The “HEAL” Program
“Healthy Eating, Active Living”
The Healthy Eating, Active Living (HEAL) program is a 10-12 week weight management program designed to provide you with inspiration and support as you work towards making healthy lifestyle choices and achieving your health and wellness goals. Participants will learn practical and hands-on approaches to healthy eating and physical activity.
The HEAL Program welcomes both men and women between the ages 16-65+. Program participants are encouraged to attend all weekly sessions to support achievement of their goals. Participation with the program does not have to end after the sessions are over.
Benefits of the Program
Eating healthy and being physically active are among the healthiest things you can do for yourself. The benefits of exercise and eating healthy are beyond measure. Each participant will be given a HEAL Participant Journal at the beginning of the program. It will assist you to monitor your daily food intake, physical activity, water intake and your weekly/monthly weight and measurement changes. The journal has useful tools and tips on health, healthy recipes and motivational quotes to keep you on track.
What to expect from the program:
The HEAL Program aims to enhance your knowledge, skills, attitudes and values as you work towards improving your health.
Activities and teachings include:
- Understanding Nutrition
- Portion Control
- Managing Stress
- Easy and Fun Workouts
- Reading Food Labels
- Traditional Body Cleanse
- Building Supportive Networks